Trusting in the Name(s) of God – Introduction
NAMES ARE IMPORTANT IN THE BIBLE:
- Many examples: Eve, Abram, Sarai, Moses, John the Baptist, Jesus
- In Hebrew culture an individual’s name was intended to reflect character or expectations – in retrospect, in that moment or in future expectation.
OUR STUDY OF THE “NAMES” OF GOD
- One name is WHO or WHAT He is – “God”
- One is His PROPER NAME – YHWH / Jehovah – “I Am That I Am” (6,000+ times in OT as “LORD.” Not same as “Lord”)
- Many more are titles or descriptions of His character and nature – Holy, Almighty, Lord, etc.
- These names, titles and descriptions have been revealed to us by Him so we can know without doubt WHO He is and WHY we can trust in Him.
THE “POWER” OF GOD’S NAME
- Proverbs 18:10 – a strong tower
- Psalm 9:10 – in Him we can trust
- I Kings 18:24 – the God who will answer when we call
- Psalm 116:1-9 – the One who will save – Acts 2:21; 22:16; Romans 10:12-13
THE HONOR HIS NAME MUST RECEIVE
- Exodus 20:7 – never taken/used “in vain” (empty, without veneration, misused)
- Matthew 6:9 – “Hallowed be your name”
- Psalm 86:9 – among all nations – Psalm 102:15; Isaiah 12:4; Malachi 1:11; Matthew 12:21; 28:19.
- Philippians 2:9-11 – He has given His Son that name!
HE ACTS CONSISTENTLY WITH HIS CHARACTER AS REVEALED IN HIS NAME(S)
- Psalm 79:9; Jeremiah 14:21; Ezekiel 20:44; 36:22; Romans 9:17
- All mankind can know that He will always act faithfully!
HE HAS GIVEN HIS PEOPLE HIS NAME
- Ephesians 3:15
- Revelation 3:12
- From the beginning of our study we can see that our God is going to forever be there (I Am) and through His revelation to us He wants us to understand what He is like… which we will discover in future lessons
- He lets us know that He is a mighty tower of strength and protection for us, One we can trust, who will answer when we call, and who is the only One who can and will save us.
- And He has even given His name to us to wear, as we are His children.