Jehovah-Ra’ah • The LORD Shepherds Me
- Reveals His attributes and character
- “For His name’s sake” means He can always be counted on to act according to His names.
“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD” – Psalm 23
- Shepherds have been part of the Bible story from the beginning: Abel, Abraham, Jacob, David, etc.
- Psalm 23 is a song by David, a shepherd who was chosen by Jehovah to become the Shepherd King over God’s people Israel.
- No doubt, David’s long experience as a shepherd led him to more fully understand how Jehovah was shepherding in all of his life.
a. Someone has observed that sheep are more needy than many other domesticated animals
b. They need leadership, protection, food & water, rest, maintenance care (heal injuries, shearing), and be rescued when lost
- As we read the Psalm, we hear all the things Jehovah did to take care of David
a. Nothing wanting – green pastures and quiet waters (food and water)
b. Restores his life – refreshing and healing
c. Right paths – away from harm and barren fields; on to green pastures
d. “For His name’s sake” – in perfect accord with the Shepherd’s nature
e. Through the valley – guidance, protection and deliverance
- Verses 5 & 6 shifts the imagery from sheep to directly speak of David’s life
a. Preservation and blessing untouched by his enemies
b. Goodness and love in Jehovah’s presence all the days of his life
JEHOVAH AS SHEPHERD; HIS PEOPLE AS HIS SHEEP
- Psalm 80:1 “Shepherd of Israel; Genesis 49:24-25; Isaiah 40:11; Ezekiel 34:11-23
- Jehovah’s people are His flock – Psalm 78:52; 79:13; 95:7; 100:3; Jeremiah 23:3-4
- In David, the king was to be shepherd of Israel – Psalm 78:70-72
- Judah’s kings failed as shepherds – Jeremiah 13:18-21; 23:1-2; Ezekiel 34:1-10
- The promise of the Messiah coming to be both King and Shepherd – Isaiah 40:11; Jeremiah 23:5-6; Ezekiel 34:23, 30-31; 37:24; Micah 5:2-4; Zechariah 13:7
JESUS IS THAT GOOD SHEPHERD – John 10
- John 21:15-17 “Feed My sheep;” 1 Peter 2:25 “Shepherd and Overseer of your souls;” 1 Peter 5:4 “the Chief Shepherd;” Hebrews 13:20 “Great Shepherd of the sheep;” Revelation 7:17 “For the Lamb… will be their shepherd.”
- Consider the claims of Jesus as Shepherd: always with us, give rest, heal, comfort, strengthen, provide, deliver from evil, lead, protect, anoint, love, keep in His sheepfold, and more.
- Jesus’ claim to be the Good Shepherd was another of His claims to be God!
- But unless He is my shepherd, the rest of the Psalm does not belong to me!