Each day I receive an email reminding me of some significant events that happened in Christian history on that given date. Today, October 31, is the 503rd anniversary of Martin Luther nailing his 95 theses to the church building door in Wittenberg. This date is widely celebrated in Reformed and Evangelical churches as the birthday of the Reformation. you can read more about the remembrance of “Reformation Day” on Wikipedia.
Here are a few resources I would encourage my readers to check out about this event in Christian history:
- Wikipedia article on the 95 Theses
- Wikipedia article on Martin Luther
- The text of the 95 Theses and an audio reading of them.
- Martin Luther: The Early Years – Christian History Magazine, Issue 34.
- The role of the printing press in the dissemination of the 95 Theses and Reformation ideas.
- Five-minute clip on YouTube from the Luther movie showing Luther nailing the 95 Theses to the church door then refusing to recant what was written.
- We have also had other articles on EffectiveBibleStudy.com about Martin Luther.
Our image is from the Wikimedia Commons archive of public domain images.